Welcome friends to Consider Yourself Hugged Episode 38. Today’s Hug: BounceBackAbility With Special Guest Sarah Steele. (Click here to listen.)
I’m Dr. Tami West, here every week to bring you tips on living a life that brings you mental and emotional wellbeing.
I have a very special guest today, international speaker and author, Sarah Steele. Sarah and I met in 2009 (I think 😅) when we spent 2 weeks together traveling and speaking across England, Scotland, and Wales. As you will hear (or you already know if you watched my teaser!) she is from England, so you’ll love listening.
A little about Sarah's professional life:
Sarah has worked globally as a facilitator and keynote and has been lucky enough to work with clients such as L’Oreal, Geico, Johns Hopkins, NASA, MIT as well as awesome faith-based organisations and non-profits. Her passions are around Managing Self and the power of intentionality when deciding how to respond to tough situations (and you are REALLY going to hear this today!).
We’ve stayed in touch off and on over the years, and recently I learned something I didn’t know much about while we were traveling together. At 20 years old, Sarah was involved in a car accident that still affects her today. You’re about to hear the powerful lessons she has learned through that experience. She'll talk about the concept of BounceBackAbility – bouncing back from setbacks, catching yourself when you are on a downward spiral, and managing your own attitude in tough times. (Listen here)!
What stood out to me!
· It’s not about bad things not happening, it’s about how quickly you’re able to manage yourself to bounce back.
· Are you holding on to those bad 5 minutes all day?
· I went and found the emergency supply of chocolate. I made myself a good cup of tea, because if you’re English that’s what you do! 😁
· Having a positive mindset is not about pretending there’s nothing wrong.
· I still have all my limbs and they all work!
· I am the Reframe Queen!
· So you can’t exercise this week? This is the week you’re going to sit and read a book!
· If you’re struggling, break it down. Focus on the next thing. And then the next thing. And then the next thing.
· Just one step at a time!
Sarah's 5-step process:
After a difficult situation:
2. Give yourself 10 minutes
3. Give yourself something that makes you happy – chocolate maybe!
4. Talk to yourself
5. Move on to the next task, working your way back up to where you want to be.
Sarah's contact info and special gift:
And that’s our time for today. I’m certain you learned something today about the power of choices in bouncing back - BounceBackAbility! Please pass the show link along to a friend or two and subscribe, download, and review wherever you are listening. And look around here at tamiwest.com to get info if you’d like me to speak at your next event. Sarah's contact is below, and you’ll find a special link to a download from the first chapter of her audiobook, Success Questions. And I’d love for you to follow me on Facebook, my primary social media home at facebook.com/tamiwestseminars.
I’m suspending the monthly giveaway for a bit as I decide what to do next. But still please leave a comment on the show notes. And thank you all for listening and growing our special community!
Finally, remembering our mental & emotional wellbeing goal, I hope that you will renew your thoughts daily, adopt empowering language that prevents verbal harm to yourself and others, and make positive mental and emotional choices on a daily basis.
And until next time, Consider Yourself Hugged 😘🤗